Saturday, February 07, 2015

day trip to Pulau Ketam...

Pulau in malay language is island and this one in particular is famous for his crabs (Ketam)!!!!
After 90 minutes on a direct first world standards train from the Sentral station in KL we arrive in Klang a decrepit village where, from a small jetty of old concrete, a long and narrow (and A/C cold) ferry will take us to this unusual town.
The 30 minutes ferry ride pass through muddy coastlines of small jungle islands where crabs, but also birds and monkeys find their habitat....on the other bigger island though since more than a century a group of fishermen built their village on stilts high up to 10 metres....
That village today is a popular weekend destination for tourists and Malays alike that want to experience some good seafood and a car free environment!!
The village, in fact, has only narrow concrete pavements large enough for bycicles or electric scooters; little unreal the view as we approached the unsafe and polluted pier. We decided to rent for 5 ringgit (little bit more than a euro) a bycicle to explore as much as we could of Pulau Ketam.
Underneath the homes balancing themselves on wooden and concrete stilts there was just mud and rubbish, as the low tide had made everything visible...
Today I had also decided to shorten my beard so I entered in the only hairdresser in town; the short and self confident lady said in a broken english that it was not possible, but when I tried to use my broken mandarin she just handed me the electric hair trimmer she was using with a middle aged man and she pointed the empty chair, asking to help myself with it!!
It was just perfect, so very naturally and indifferent of the sights of the customers next to me I started to trim my beard as if I was in my own bathroom!!

Ann's hairdresser!

I should have mentioned that the majority of the village inhabitants are chinese so malay is not the first language, it really felt like we had jumped in a countryside chinese hamlet, with kids getting ready with their firecrakers, old men chatting next to the temples and the ladies running the shop businesses...the seafood restaurants cater for tourists and the others for the locals, the ambience was very relaxed and for few minutes we even considered to spend the night there!
Yes, I did have a sweet and sour crab dish!!!

clear and concise street menu

view of Pulau Ketam

Tomorrow morning I am planning on moving on to Georgetown, on Penang island, a 5 hours bus drive should take me there....


No comments: