Thursday, April 02, 2015

Seaweed salad and "street art sport"...

It's gonna be my forth night in Myanmar, tonight, and I have kept noticing that every watch I have encountered had 30 minutes less than mine!! I then asked the old man at reception for confirmation and he told me that in the country there is a different time zone from Thailand and south east Asia and it's of half an hour!!! very Venezuela, I thought!!! but then I smiled and realized that my transportations were not leaving late as I believed..
I am in Mawlamyine that has taken me 3 days to learn how to pronounce and still I hear different ways from locals,... it should be something like "moulamean".
I am considering no night transfers in Myanmar, so yesterday I stopped half way my planned journey in Ye (pronounced ye or je!!, also this was unclear to me!!) a simple town around the Ye river!
I was the only white/tourist around and it felt even more awkward to have people stopping doing what they were doing just to look at my hairstyle (curly hair are not common in Asia..), or the way I was dressed (colours are common in Asia though!!)...
I am still following my street food passion, and I haven't got discouraged from some travellers that advised me not to do so here!! Yes, I am tempted too much by the super deep fried options, but I am discovering an interesting and new culinary world too here.
The young "yellow cheeks" waitress understood my "tartall-d" (the sound for the word vegetarian! in the local language) and tried her best to translate me that she also had seaweed available...
As many people here owning one (surprisingly!!), her 6 inches screen smartphone gave me the answer opening me to one of the tastiest delicacies I have tried in Asia so far!!
Little white seaweeds (resembling tripe) mixed in a thinly sliced tomato salad and a light brownish and seedy dressing that I have no idea what it could have been....but guess what it was melting in my mouth and it was seriously amazing!!!
I left the street side restaurant inspired and amazed by the beauty that traveling is, the simple pleasures of the traveling, smiling to myself and to the kids around that kept staring at me and shouting "hello" and "bye"!
Usually good things generate good things (as well as bad things come with bad things..."welcome to my law of energies!!!") and at the next crossroad a group of four men was playing keeping a small rattan ball on air by foot kicking it, performing interesting touches and at times incredible ones that generated shoutings from the audience (shopkeepers and kids around watching!!)
I got invited to join and I didn't need to be forced and in few seconds I was already barefoot in the middle of the road; a gentleman passing by with the scooter, stopped, parked and joined as naturally, others kept coming and going....
We were playing chin ione, that here in Myanmar is more like an art, I would call it a "street art sport"... a good 20 minutes amongst scooters and cars that at times interrupted our juggling, or just me not being able to be up to their level!!
A lot of laughs though, until the bus from Yangon arrived and the game finished abruptly, two of the "players" were moto-taxi drivers and they had to make some cash for their day!!! the others just left silently as if they had an important meeting to attend!!
I wore back my shoes and kept walking back to my guesthouse sweating but with a even bigger smile....

No comments: