Sunday, April 19, 2015

it's Bangladesh time..

I am in Dhaka, excited as a 16 years old on his first school trip abroad and I don't really know why, ok, maybe I have to admit that I have a weakness for indian atmosphere and vibes, and India is just next door, yet Bangladesh is meant to be a world on his own, that I am positively looking forward to learn about.....
The welcome hasn't been as easy, actually even more troubled than I can recall my arrival in New Delhi nearly two years ago, as I naively believed the guy from my guesthouse that promised to pick me up from the airport!! After one hour I had to get somebody there to call and remind him!!
Not many people stop here in Bangladesh, not even consider it in their plans, yet surrounded, nearly enclosed, by the big attraction that India is, bordering Myanmar that is there opening up and building slowly a strong touristic reputation and Nepal that tries to keep it high, while Bhutan being the precious one up there.....Bangladesh is skipped, a preconceived deduction that the country has nothing to offer, and maybe that's why I am here?? How many people do you actually know that have been in Bangladesh?
For now I am just excited even to be listening the Hindi and traditional music on the Mtunes channel on the tv in my pleasant and clean room, in the business district few kilometres north of the airport.
I had to leave a wonderful and simple country behind, a country of huge smiles and genuine souls, with a silent yet expressive humanity, that smoothly, I can now say, entered my personal top 10!
The red betel spits from the bus passengers landing on the passing taxis and staining their white doors, the huge amount of underage involved in the daily workforce or the insane amount of street trash (or better your surrounding is your landfill!) cannot cover fully the amazing peace that (somehow!!) reigns, the naively helpfulness and the cute yellow cheeks of the young girls....
In this 19 days, I have been asked more than once if I was "islam" or "christian" or why I was traveling alone and why I was not married yet!!....all questions that I didn't really know how to properly answer considering their social situation...
I could have replied to them "YOLO"!! (You Only Live Once) and explaining somehow that I am trying to experience as much as I can, prioritize some things over others, but on this side of the world where people believe seriously in reincarnation, it wouldn't really work, would it??!!! ...they can potentially do everything in their next life!!!!!



the infamous police station bedroom...(and my bags)


some water festival splashes...


locals and unknown street games...









No comments: