Thursday, April 23, 2015

Banglanised...

The first consideration of this post is a quote that I came across some time ago and that said: Don’t fear death, but life not lived!!
…the other day in the middle of the old town in Dhaka, just when the sky was getting dark, sitting on a scruffy and uncomfortable rickshaw lead by a slim middle aged dark man, stuck in an insane and indescribable traffic where pedestrians were reaching faster their destinations than any other wheeled vehicle around, with thousands of eyes on me, and with hundreds of smiles and head shakes towards me and with not enough oxygen in the air for everyone there, just there in one of the most crowded places I have found myself in, I caught myself thinking that!!
Everyone is scared to die, but how mean would be to do it with little to tell!!...(I just noticed that the death theme is around lately….)
The point is actually not death but life!!! Try to leave your comfort zone, step slowly out of your soft mental cottonwool, give yourself a chance to go out there and get dirty, you cannot imagine how rewarding that can be, in that precise moment I would have done anything to have next to me my parents, or even just my ex, maybe my sister, the people I love, to share that moment that it was simply priceless, breathless!!
Bangladesh is truly embracing me in a warm and genuine hug, “are you traveling alone?” I get asked between 10 and 15 times per day, but I am never alone, I can’t manage to walk more than ten minutes without getting someone stopping to question or welcome me... I have been given business cards and phone numbers from strangers that are willing to make my traveling easier than it already is…
The country is more than unbeaten as destination itself, I haven’t seen any other traveler and it looks like the locals have not either, since very long time..
“Your culture is different from us” Amin, the waiter in a restaurant, told me pointing at me wearing shorts and curious of the bracelets around my ankles!! … “Your country is rich!” Nidaul repeats more than once while he forbids me to pay for my own breakfast, “You are our guest!” Zaman and Khokon remind me paying for my lunch or the traditional tea, with generous sugar and condensed milk, available on any side of the road!
I haven’t been offered though, a fork or spoon so far in any diner, so I am enjoying eating with hands as the old african times and I love it!!
The traffic lights don’t work or exist as they have no sense as everyone breaks every rule, even new ones that they make up themselves right there, so at crossroads you might find a couple of gentlemen in uniform with long and threatening wooden sticks controlling the (dis)order! Or to say, the traffic in Dhaka is sick, illegal, forget Bangkok that in comparison is an enjoyable sunday morning drive in the countryside!!!
Yes, I am struggling little to understand how much my price for everything/anything gets pumped, and when to haggle and when not cause, even then, they are super cheap!!
Everyone in some ways wants a little extra share from the "wealthy" visitor, even the mosquitoes at night are taking advantage…
Yes, I am struggling as well with all the selfies and pictures I get asked to take with random people and with the lack of real “me” time or even space, as I find myself surrounded by twenty or thirty nosy people “checking me out!”…

Yes, I am struggling quite a lot sadly to understand how unfair the world is, how exaggerated and wasteful our lifestyle is compared to nearly any someone here!!

No comments: