Thursday, January 15, 2015

we are all strangers (siamo tutti stranieri)

today I feel like taking advantage of the Sri Lanka's bank holiday, roads are pleasantly empty and the cars and bus honks nearly non-existant, it doesn't feel real.. I had thought, very shily, to go for a day trip to Colombo but I am not finding the motivation in my backpack and I rather plan for my next step Bali and Indonesia already coming up tomorrow..
it's quite hot anyway and the cool and chilled hostel run by Alex, a talkative and smiley young siberian guy is attracting me to stay in fixing pictures and hand-washing my t-shirts and shorts...
yesterday I had a great "african" like day in the market in Negombo where I used up most of my energies, sucked by the sun and the humidity but mainly by the vibes of the experience...it reminded me little bit of Senegal...


fish drying in front of the fishermen shacks

my lunch was a fish omelette prepared by this smiley lady
 

I felt as an alien walking under the colourful tarpaulins covering the hot, yet breezy, waterside market area, where most of the sellers have the same produce just set up on a different and photogenic ways. 
                             

onions and dried tobacco leaves

Outside of the market area though amongst statues of Christian saints and Jesus I came across alot of serious poverty and western yet small shopping malls too, a side of Sri Lanka I hadn't had the chance to meet yet.. now it's time for my daily coconut water and pineapple, maybe I will even enjoy of my last Sri Lankan rice and curry...

.




No comments: