Thursday, January 29, 2015

crosscutting Java

Mister, excuse me Mister..my friend wants picture with you...a veiled girl asked me... young Indonesians are curious and forward when they see westerners and they love to get your face on their smartphone...even if maybe the only english words they can say are those, they are very smiley and mannered...
As the biggest muslim country in the world, and one of the few, if not the only one, where the cigarettes smoking habit is increasing instead of falling I have come across a positively interesting country so far.
I arrived in Jakarta at 5:40 this morning, after a strenuous and dodgy night shuttle bus journey....
I have been traveling extremely fast and intensevely in the last week and obviously I have been paying the price physically and emotionally...when tired many things look different and you tend to think of the people you love most especially when you see that your driver's neck is not able to stand tall and he is falling asleep, luckily the road pavement was so messed up that every now and then a hole would wake him up...
At one particular moment around 2:40 I was there behind him (mentally driving myself) ready to shout if needed, but then I gave up....for the two local ladies in the van I guess everything was just normal: the jumping up and down, the crazy overtakings and the driver shouting at the phone while driving in the middle of the night!!
I always like to alternate in my traveling adrenaline and logic, jumping on and off the tourist path, not suffering much of FOMO (fear of missing out!) and improving slightly on my YOLO (you only live once!) attitude.
in the last 96 hours I guess I have squeezed everything in, 1500 km on the road crossing the big Java island using train, mini vans, "bemos" (small vans or mini trucks used by locals to move around), and even a scooter to cross on the other side of Mount Bromo instead of going back the same way through Probolinggo.

alarm at 3, hike up Penanjakan at 2700m for sunrise


lunar landscape: scooter riding inside the Tengger Caldera, surrounded by five (four of which active!!) volcanoes, to reach the city of Malang.


soon out of the national park another amazing view, very spectacular 
(it reminded me of the Ecuador/Colombia border crossing)


train rules: I had to leave my chicken behind!! Durian (a seriously smelly fruit) is forbidden too on board!

No comments: