Sunday, March 01, 2015

heat, dust and smiles: Phnom Penh

The name doesn't help to remember it, the city itself doesn't offer that much amazing and the temperature doesn't really make you want staying longer, but Phnom Penh, the capital city of Cambodia, actually welcomed me into the real and serious travel again, after the slow month and I embraced it quite positively...
A good 11 hours journey using any form of transportations: I rode my rented scooter to the port in Koh Chang, the ferry to get to the mainland, a pick up taxi to the bus station, a mini van to the border, a mototaxi to a old big bus in the sandy bus terminal of Koh Kong and a tuk tuk to reach my hostel...in the middle the border where again I had to give my fingerprints as in Malaysia and USA!!! (I am not that fond of it but I accept it for the sake of traveling, even if it's not a practice used in every other border in Cambodia)... and 37 USD!!!
The first thing of the day was for me to shorten my beard and I ended up doing it myself again as Naden in the unisex barber shop had never seen a long beard before, she panicked, so I handed her 1 US dollar and she passed me the hair trimmer....easy!!
While bouncing from a stall to another I kept fighting the heat with a freshly squeezed orange juice, a freshly hand crushed sugar cane juice, and a big coconut till I reached the Psar Chaa (the old market)...
I love my local markets: live fish being gut next to the chicken sellers, baguette and frogs, fruits and vegetables next to the key cutter and the ladies getting pedicure, clams and flowers while scooters find their way in the crowd.....

efficient young mum frying rice balls and rocking her baby hammock...

a ordinary market perspective

the smiley "peppered eggs moto stall" man...

it looks like a bar turned into a cinema...


No comments: