Friday, May 08, 2015

A moral slap...

One of the things I started to appreciate in this journey, that is ending today, is getting a weekly (or whenever available) a massage, preferably from a blind person.
I had found a company also here in Kathmandu, but due to the earthquake their place has been closed since.
I have to admit that blindness is something that really touches me, I have noticed and learned it even more when in Thailand at the temple retreat I practiced some walking meditation with eyes closed!!
Please try yourself to do the most basic and simple thing that you do everyday with the eyes closed, it's test and see how you feel after just 60 seconds!!!
Today I managed to get in touch with the guys of the company as I hoped (no chance!) to get a last day massage, I asked instead if I could actually make a donation to them as I believe people with disabilitiy in events like disasters have harder time then everybody else...
The young man on the other side of the phone with a pleasant english and a bright voice replied me with a short and sharp sentence that I have been thinking all day about and that it adds up to the important quotes of my life from today...
He said: "We are just visually impaired, there are people that need more help than us!!"...We are JUST visually impaired!!! At first I have to admit that this sentence left me speechless, but after few hours I started to see the deeper meaning of it, a meaning that can be read also under a different way..(or at least I do!).
All of us are visually impaired in some ways, cause yes we can see with our eyes (or through glasses!) what surrounds us, the material things around us, but we cannot really fully see the reality, the energies and most likely the real meaning of what is actually just next to us even if we could describe it perfectly...
My way to help Nepal has been a little different and unusual in this last few days, I have decided to pour my money into the street people!
I believe that much of the suffering, in this cases, is also finding the strengh to restart from a cracked or damaged or collapsed house, the motivation to get back and live as normally as you would have just before the earthquake and just feel as if nothing happened..
Many of the people that live in and of the street, maybe a old lady selling a bunch of lady fingers, or few ginger roots, or the young kid helping his father to sell spices, or just the man selling fruit at the corner of the road..the tea stall owners or the public bus drivers, the rickshaw guys..
Nobody will go and help them, nobody will support their disappointment and the international aids won't care of the despair of the normal people that are luckily alive and able to continue living..
Mine has been a thought that considered also the "moving the economy", the getting back the enthusiasm for life and not giving up, as well as satisfying a whim or just being able to buy back something that the earthquake took away!!
Simply I have been just buying basic simple things of local life as a 10 rupees freshly made lemon soda, or a handful of peas (worth 20 rupees), or a pen or some street food and paying them to a fix price of 1000 rupees (10 US$)..
All things that the few tourists around won't dare to buy, or people they wouldn't even think to approach, a part of the society that lives a miserable life already without a major disaster...
I guess it's obvious that the funds collected on the this blog and from friends and acquaintances will go to the association of the visually impaired.



No comments: